Thursday, May 18, 2006

WHERE DID HOLLYWOOD FIND THAT STAR?

Last Saturday was a first of what we anticipate to be many in our house over the next eight years (I think I figured that out right.) Laura went to her first Freshman banquet/prom. It was definately a 24hr. event. One I think I enjoyed just a much as she did.

We had been very lucky in just happening upon the dress in the previous months; so we really didn't have a stressfull shopping experience. Honestly, we didn't really start making plans until Friday evening. When I got home from work that night, we set for several hours playing with her hair to decide how she would wear it. Then we did her nails before she went to bed. (I must say I was very honored she wanted mom to do her hair, make-up and nails rather than paying for someone else to do it. I am sure Gary is very appreciative as well as he did not have to spend that money.)

The next morning we got up and decided we would destress our day by going to garage sales until the mall opened to find a braclet and headband. We left the house looking (as Laura would put it) grungy. (This is the teenagers description of themselves the week before prom as they go to school basically the way they wake up each day. The idea is if they look bad all week; they will look really good to everyone the day of prom.) We enjoyed our morning and made our way back home by noon, ate a quick lunch and we were off to begin the LONG..........process. After she showered, we enjoy 4 fun filled hours of watching Brady Bunch (There was a 48hr. marathon on)while curling her hair. Yes, it took every minute of the four hours to curl the small sections of every strand of hair to acheive "the look". Then it was off to the make up.


After makeup, was the putting on of her dress. (Grandpas and uncles may want to skip over this part. Remember, girls will do what they have to do.)

Laura wore a 80's replica of a black, strapless dress with a short bubble skirt and pink polka-dots. Now when you are planning to go to a dance, the last thing you want to worry about is a strapless dress. Our solution........Elmer's Spray adhesive. That's right, glue. Now we all know I was not about to spray that in my house, so it was off to the garage. While Hailey posted watch to make sure no one opened the doors, we sprayed Laura down anywhere her dress would touch. Hey, it worked! This was one mother that was not worried about her daughter loosing her top.

After the dress was securily in place, it was back to the bathroom to put the finishing touches on her hair, add her pink strappy shoes, and complete the look with her fun,oversized, pink pearl necklace, bracklet and earrings.

The product was a star!

Soon after she was ready, we took Laura to a friends house for pictures with her three friends. (The four girls decided to go together as a group rather than go with dates.)

From left to right, Katie, Amanda, Laura and Ashton.

The theme for the Prom was "Hollywood". It was held at the HealthPoint Banquet room here in Lubbock. The building was perfect for the night with a BIG spiral staircase through the middle. They had dinner first catered by Stella's Italian Restaurant; then onto the awards and dance. Laura said it was all wonderful and she had so much fun!

The prom was over at midnight, then Katie's dad picked the four girls up and took them to IHOP's. Exhausted, Laura was home by 1:30. Although, Gary did not hear a thing, I got up and visited w/ Laura while the excitement was still fresh and looked at some digital pictures she took. I am so glad it was such a funfilled, drama-free experience. Believe it or not, we are both looking forward to the next one.

By the way, my shinning star got up and was a church on time the next morning. I was very proud of her. (Not all the girls made it!)

What a blessing this beautiful girl is to her dad and I. We are so proud of her!!

6 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!!!!! We are so proud of Laura too! Keep breathing Laura. Love Nana

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

These are so fun to look at...you look great...we can tell you had a great time. The whole getting ready process was just as much an EVENT as the event itself. Thanks for sharing the memories (Uncle Randy could have done without the Elmer's glue part!)
-Uncle Randy & Aunt Kelly

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Kendra said...

Oh, how I remember the events that took "hours" to do the curls in the hair . .I once had that kind of hair as well!! ha! You looked absolutely stunning, Laura - thanks for the great descriptions, Toni - it was like experiencing all that with you guys.

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok...you look beautiful. kind of like lucy...i like that a lot. how lucky you were with the whole brady bunch marathon :)i love you...jessica

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa!!!! Who's that hottie??? Can I make an appointment at her beauty salon?

Miss you guys!

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Funfilled and drama free" is just what we like to hear. Sounds perfect. Laura, your beautiful spirit shines through in these pictures! We are very proud of you and the lovely young lady you have become. So glad your mom knows how to do the prom makeover...you looked gorgeous!

Love, Nana and Papa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home