Mufasa and Simba
Today I officially became a Lion’s Club member with all its rights and privileges. And legendary Lion’s Club member, (aka Dad) was right there beside me. I can’t remember the last time my Dad and I did something together, just the two of us. But this was fun.
Actually, I think he had more fun than I did. He certainly knew more people in my club than I do. (I’m sure that surprises you.) He met me at the civic center and donned his Lion’s Club vest (we don’t wear vests in my club by the way) and we made our way to the buffet. Dad was greeted by just about everyone at the welcome center, many of which knew him or had seen him. Later he was introduced to the audience and actually won the guest prize. It’s a bell for traveling to Africa to find the Lion’s club there.
I introduced him to my sponsor and she made him feel welcome. The Lion’s district governor was there and knew Dad, so they visited. I was among the Royal Lions today. (ha)
The ceremony was short and simple. I got my official certificate and pin. (The first of many to come. ) The remaining program tickled Dad because he had heard rumors of the fines and such that go on. To see it first hand made him smile.
The program was about Texas Lions Camp for the handicapped. He wants to visit that camp to see the work they do there. He and I agreed that Hailey would probably love to serve as a counselor there someday. She has the spirit of that camp in her.
I think it made him proud that I became a member of that service organization. He said he would probably come over for the pancake festival in February. He has never been to the Lubbock one. I’m serving the early birds that day with Governor Rick Perry and his wife.
That’s my first blog…
Gary


3 Comments:
Congratulations Gary!
-RV
Congratulations, you lion, you!!! he! Don't you get one of those sweet hats with the tassles hanging off or are those days gone now?? Just kiddin . . Welcome to the world of the "bloggers", and it's good to hear something from you!
That's a great story Gary!! Glad you and Dad got to do that together - sounds great. Glad you are following in some great footsteps as well. Now the question is: Do the Lubbock Lions use more sophisticated equipment to cook pancakes on besides old farm equipment like the Early Risers do? :) Let's hope so! Not sure if Gov. Perry's Health and Human Services czar would approve of the breakfast burritos made from an old cultivating machine!! I'll too welcome you back to the blog world.
Post a Comment
<< Home