Monday, February 27, 2006

Licensed To Grill




TGICB…Like the old John Denver song said I had cakes on the griddle and a rather large griddle that could hold 48 full size flapjacks. It was the Lion's Club's Annual Pancake Festival. This was fun. I wish everyone could have stopped by to see me in action. Without braggin’….heck, it’s my blog, I’m gonna brag.

I earned several titles during my 5 hour shift including Pancake Pro, Young Griddle Master and Golden Boy. The Tech sorority sisters who volunteered to pass out these hot cakes were all amazed at how perfectly golden they were. Not brown, but the official Pantone-145 golden shade of perfection. These crepes-on-steroids were not only the perfect color, but were as round as a manhole cover. Other veteran Lions around me dropped their batter on the hot surface and got a bottle-cap look with postage stamp like edges. Not the Fantastic Flipper! I even took on a few requests for Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes to the amazement of those around me. Talk about customer service!

Call it beginners luck if you will, I call it an acquired skill. Whatever your perspective, it was a stack full of fun for me. (Only wish the picture was better, the heat coming off the grill blurred the lens I think...or the fact that it was a camera phone.)

5 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger Kendra said...

You go, stud. You can flip pancakes for us anytime! Must be a Vaughn gene or something . . .Donny has the same "gift", and is looking forward to days of flippin' shapes extrodinaire with his boys someday soon!

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

Maybe we could all open up a flapjack house someday when we are all retired...it's one of those breakfast meals I love preparing the most. Tori of course is now not satisfied unless there are shapes to her morning meal (by the way, she's bored with snowmen...she's always saying, "make one in the shape of a horse with a cowgirl on it") This morning, oddly enough eating pancakes as well, Timothy even said, "I want snowman" and obviously seemed to indicate a oncoming rebellion if his demands weren't met. I was already done so I cleverly stacked three different size pancakes on top of one another and fooled the little guy! (It'll all about slight-of-hand with toddlers!)

You remember the fence in Mom and Dad's backyard...we carved our initials in the concrete base...remember it? I don't exactly, but it was playing off of Randy-Gary-Donny...so it was something like RuGgeD Construction...now we know...it's more like RuGged Pankcake House. Not quite the ring as IHOP, but it could be our fortune!!

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Kendra said...

That's it!! The business for the Vaughn boys to run together!! A pancake house! We could all be fat and happy bread addicts together . . I LOVE breakfast!! ha! We'll have to try the snowmen . . .that's a good place to start!

 
At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pancake house is awesome idea I will serve along with Laura Garyn Tori and Lael
Sounds fun

Good job dad
Hailey

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Donny - MarketingTwin #2 said...

Randy, you missed...not Rugged!! GRD... hello... "Welcome to GRiDdles ma'm. Table for 4?" I can see it now in neon lights.

Great job Gary!! By the way, for Toni's sake, I would not mention "sorority girls" in your blog posts anymore unless they are the fat and happy ones that live at the IHOP. :)

Here's to the next Google of the Pancake World: GRIDDLES!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home