What a Great Day!

Yesterday I experienced one of the greatest days of my life. I was honored and humbled to baptize my two oldest daughters, Laura and Hailey. As a dad, you always dream of this day; but once that moment comes and you are standing in the water, looking into their eyes as you clarify their commitment, you realize how unworthy you are. What a privilege God gave me to do his work, yet once again, and bring my daughters up from the water into their new life with Christ.For those of you who may not know, Laura and Hailey both asked Christ into their hearts on June 28th. It in itself was a day to remember. The day began as Toni and I opened our emails at work to receive an email from Hailey stating she had been considering baptism and after her mission trip she was certain of the commitment she wanted to make. Her sweet phrase was this, “I have never been so sure!” We were so proud and couldn’t imagine the day getting any better. However, 2 ½ hours away, Laura was in Abilene visiting family. (She had been away from home almost two weeks and had not spoken to Hailey; only Toni and I briefly.) As Toni was cooking supper the evening of the 28th, Laura called. “Mom, you will never believe what I did!”…. “I asked Jesus into my heart and I want to be baptized!” Toni was stunned and asked if she had talked to Hailey to which Laura replied, “No, why?” We proceeded in telling both girls about how the day had unfolded for the other. Needless to say, we went to sleep smiling.
We were all reunited on Saturday, July 1st and began discussing their baptism. This was also the first day of our mini family vacation which meant we would not be at our home church on Sunday for a baptism. However, we were at the lake; and would be at Donny and Kendra’s house with a pool the following day. Although these were two options (and Uncle Donny and Aunt Kendra would have really loved the pool idea) the girls really wanted to be at Broadway with their friends. So we waited until yesterday………..
………… July 9, 2006.
Toni and I along with Laura, Hailey, Garyn, our niece, Caryse, our cousin Alexis (Caryse and Alexis were spending the week with us) and our houseguest, Jane headed for church to start the big day. There we met up with my parents, Ronnie and Judy, my grandmother (Granny), and Toni’s mom and step-dad, Tommie and Paul who drove in from Abilene for just a few hours. Eric and Laney Dickey were there as well. (They are also members of Broadway; but had not intended on being at church as their son had gotten married the night before; but they said they would not have missed this!) Needless to say we took up most of three rows as we also added our support group of friends during the service. (I think I counted 21 people – what blessings!)
We all set through the service anticipating the girl’s baptisms. I honestly could not think of anything else. I had of course went over in my head a million times what I would say; and had already warned Toni and the girls I would probably cry. Not to mention, Laura was worried she was so much taller than me that I might not get her under, so we practiced a couple of times in the living room.
When they offered the invitation, the girls jumped up. Before I knew it we were heading for the baptistery. What I did not know was what the youth group had planned. Every single youth in the service headed back with us (probably about 50 or so). Not just down front, literally into the baptistery with us. As is typical in most baptisteries, there is a girl’s side and a boy’s side; so the boys went into the boy’s side with me and the girls followed Laura and Hailey into their side. They stood at the top of the stairs leading into the water and trailed all the way back into the hallway. The girls had waited to be with their friends and here they were surrounded by each and every one of them. Dad and some deacons were there helping me with the waders. I looked like I was going fishin’.
Hailey was first. As I spoke to her I could feel the tears. However, I regrouped quickly and made it through both baptisms. I asked each girl… “Have you asked Jesus to be a part of your life? Do you believe He is the Son of God, that He died and rose again? Do you promise to follow His teachings? Upon their confession, they were baptized. (Both claim I held them down a long time.) They were raised up a new Hailey and a new Laura. (AMEN!)
I had the official rubber suit on to protect my pants; but the big wet hugs I received from both girls as they came up from the water soaked my shirt. I was never so proud to be so wet! As soon as the girls put on dry clothes, they were dragged down the hall by the youth group. Again, we had no idea what was to come.


The tradition we witnessed was just a special as the baptism itself. The boys of the youth group had prepared communion just for the youth. They would soon take it with Laura and Hailey as their first communion. We stood in the back of the room as we watched the boys speak to the whole youth group about both the bread and the blood and pray for each. They ended this time by bringing the girls into the middle of the group where everyone laid hands on them and prayed for them. My heart was proud to know this is the true group that would hold them accountable to their commitment to Christ. And how much they valued and made special the events of the day.


After all was done, we headed back to the house for lunch with the 20 or so from our special group of family and friends. We had a great time visiting and celebrating with everyone. The girls received some special gifts as well. Around 2:30 everyone headed home and we settled in for a quiet nap as we counted our blessings.
Thank you to each and everyone for all you support, emails and prayers as we have walked this road with our oldest girls.


4 Comments:
What a fun read!! What a great day to celebrate in a most memorable way. The girls will never forget that day. The traditions there at Broadway are cool. I love the communion after the baptism. Neat experience. I'm so incredibly proud of my two nieces and of my brother and sister-in-law for having some great kids!! Love having alot of the family there too. Wish we could have made it ourselves. Love you guys!!
What a neat recap of your special day! Thanks for sharing with us . .we are so very proud as well. love you all -
I loved reading your account Gary! What a true blessiing! We're proud of Laura and Hailey. And we're proud of you and Toni for the environment you have created in your home for the gospel to be seen, heard and now received!
-Randy
Glad to see Mom has a username!!
Welcome "judy&ronnie"!
Post a Comment
<< Home