Monday, March 12, 2007

Still Celebrating His Day!

A year ago today I wrote this poem for my dad's birthday and tenth soberiety anniversary. (They were the same day.) We surprised him in Abilene at a dinner with all his family and friends. I was finally able for the first time in my life not only express to him the pain he had caused; but the joy and love he gave despite his drinking. But more importantly I told him how proud of him I was for the demons he had conquered to come back to us. We had come full circle. Never did I dream one year later how important that one moment would be. It is truly my most precious memory with my dad. He needed to hear all that was said in this poem;to be reminded it was worth the fight And, I know first hand how proud he was of it as he showed it to many friends.


To my Dad on “His Day”

Today is my dad’s day
It is “His Day” of deliverance

Delivered March 12, 1955
A new baby boy born to be the apple of his mother’s eye

In the years that followed what he became
Was a son, a brother, a husband, a father we blamed.

For to his mother, he was pain
To his siblings, he was an enemy
To his wife he was unloving
To his daughter he was gone

For these roles in life he could not play
The whiskey consumed him everyday

He could not be present with us in heart and soul
Only in a body that carried the black hole

But we each saw beyond the bottle where he could not see
For we wanted that man to be set free

We each needed him in our own way
A son to care for us in our aging day
A brother to protect us come what may
A husband to love us day after day
A father to guide us as we find our way

In many prayers to God we all cried
But the time of his deliverance was not for us to decide

God gave us the strength to get through the bad
As we waited to get back our son, brother, husband and dad

Delivered March 12, 1996
By his own choice from the black hole of alcoholism

Although his body and face were the same
His heart and soul had been reclaimed

One day at a time he began to live
And to each of his roles his best he does give

The son can now care for his mother
The brother now stands by his brother
The husband can now love and care
And my daddy is now always there.

And now with 10 years of sobriety today
“I love you!” is what we want to say
As we will always proudly celebrate “His Day”

-By Toni Vaughn



For me this poem represents my whole life; a life I would not change for a moment. Yes, it was hard and sometimes horrible; but the lessons it taught are unreplaceable. The strength it gave me sustains me today, truly. It shows the amazing power of God and forgiveness.

Today, this is my new prayer sent to me by a very special man my daddy put in my life.

I remember you always in my prayers.
Distances of time and space can never separate me from you and other loved ones. Though near or far, whether present or past, we are connected in my memories and in my prayers.
As I bring you to mind in prayer, I affirm that you are with the spirit of God. United in Spirit, we are enfolded in the light and love of God.
I clearly recall memories that bring a smile to my face: your kind nature, your gentle spirit, your ways of love and compassion. These memories of the times we’ve shared are so dear to me.
I thank God for the blessing you are. You have enriched my life in countless ways. I remember you always. You are present in my prayers.

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

2 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Kendra said...

Thanks for sharing such an intimate look at you and your sweet Dadddy, Toni. I'm sure today is a day of remembering lots of things for you today, and I want you to know I'm praying for you today and just lifting you up that the Lord would just encourage and bless you today! Sure do love you and your family!!
kendra

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Kelly Vaughn said...

Your profound thoughts back then certainly minister to your own thoughts now...so amazing how God gave you those words. We know God is the one who sustains us and comforts us at all times. I'm thankful you know Him. I'm thankful that you experienced such a fullness with your Dad....full circle...that certainly translates into a testimony so powerfully shared. Thanks for letting us hear your heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home